19th Jun, 2018
, , Designation
In this new-age era of technological disruptions, migration to cloud is probably one big appealing proposition for the enterprises. But what is it that compels an organization the most towards this shift – a herculean task of moving all their important business applications like data and desktop apps to a cloud environment?
Well, there can be n number of reasons that you can vouch for. For instance, the well-organized setup, better performance, extra stability and a much-reduced cost of ownership.
However, jumping from an on-site infrastructure to cloud-hosted podiums, is certainly not a cakewalk. Let’s talk about an element which is one of the major concerns of the world when we look at the digital world. Yes, we are talking about ‘security’. Any kind of movement means moving past the inertia.
Keeping an eye on the transition circumstances and the subsequent environment your data is being subjected to, is critical. Any kind of security compromise during or post the cloud movement can turn your opportunities and advantages into limitations and challenges.
It’s all about the security anxiety!
Every company demands complete security when it comes to their set of data. Whether it is their customer data or even business strategic data which is leveraged for decisioning. Certainly, when data gets voyaged to a cloud platform, it goes through actual physical movement.
Correct assessment of the vulnerability during this stage is important and more important is, to not give into the panic and become regressive. A correct assessment and work-around strategy at this stage will ease the customer anxiety.
While every enterprise plans their best in securing the data, yet the transition to cloud platform requires relearning of the procedure altogether. Insolvency to interpret this robust cloud security might result in the revelation of highly confidential business data to a safety violation.
But still, do the benefits overrun the risks?
- When application encounters increased the traffic, the resources on the glide to be gauged effectively to address the demand.
- Expanding client’s business geographically requires setting up a multi-region infrastructure, apart from all the correlated maintenance, etc. cloud infrastructure takes care of the demand of storage space expansion.
- In a globally spread out team, cloud environment can be leveraged for fostering a widespread team development.
- To establish a disaster retrieval system, the set-up for an entire data center could double the cost, while cloud disaster recovery systems are easier to implement, providing a better control over resources.
- Few essential processes demand periodic and sometimes immediate upgrades, with a cloud, that becomes easier.
- Capex to Opex: Cloud processing moves IT expenditure to a pay-as-you-go model, which is an appealing benefit, especially for the startups.
Want to decipher Cloud migration – Let’s understand the basics first
Although there are limitations while deploying cloud, it acts a perfect platform where all your data can be secured. Thus, there is a requirement for choosing the right cloud processing service model as well. Let’s have a look:
- IaaS is Infrastructure as a Service – for ex: AWS, Azure, Google Compute Engine, Alibaba Cloud.
- PaaS refers to Platform as a Service – for ex: AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Heroku, Google App Engine, Engine Yard).
- SaaS is defined as Software as a Service– for ex: Google Apps, Office 365, Salesforce, Netsuite).
Above mentioned cloud processing models permit global, convenient and on-demand network approach to share kitty of configurable resources like networks, servers, space, applications and facilities. But you are required to make an important choice amongst all the three, when it comes to managing security concerns.
For example, IaaS is considered to be the cream choice for companies that can easily accommodate their applications in third-party data centers, henceforth prefer to outsource the caution of their physical infrastructure to focus more completely on developing, deployment, and monitoring.
Nevertheless, for the selection of applications to be portable, you might desire to simply plunge your code onto a robust PaaS platform to provides a full (and invisible) infrastructure environment whereas SaaS act as a delivery model through which significant hosted productivity software is licensed on a subscription basis.
Now, what next?
After the selection of right cloud computing model now the next step is for the right cloud type. Here we have them, three in the row:
- Public: The resources are wholly hosted by a cloud provider like AWS (Amazon Web Services)
- Private: Private defines as your own entity. Hence, you will generate your own private cloud using a platform such as OpenStack or VMware’s.
- Hybrid: Hybrid will spread your resources over both private and public platforms.
- Now confusion arises over the selection. Well, with the right mixt of on-demand dependability, great availability, security and ease operations costs, hybrid cloud is an attractive implementation. In our view – Going hybrid gives the tour for both the worlds!! 🙂
Move to Cloud but remember these things!
- While the accumulation and recovery of sensitive data in an application can create a concern of space to maintain it in the cloud, the choices will get reduced by the compliance requirements.
- Cloud architecture requires complete adjustment. Therefore, application design and architecture should be finished properly, which might may require ample alterations before finally moving to the cloud.
- Adopting the right business model is the key wherein you have to righty address the “how” part and make the informed decisions. Therefore, it is critical to choose the apt cloud model, based on your business requirement.
- You should also evaluate for the long run feasibility in terms of cost optimisation for the organisation. As it follows a utility-based pricing model, you should ensure optimum utilisation of the infrastructure.
- For moving your data to a third party, it is critical to choose the right partner and do a stringent quality check beforehand by evaluating the best option available – in terms of partner’s security infrastructure, compliance needs and expertise. Henceforth, you can certainly avoid any security-related issues later.
Ensuring a post-cloud security policy is a must after all
Managing security risks while migrating to cloud will require a distinct stroke from customers and cloud providers. This stroke will act as a platform where both the entities will meet, and company’s IT Security policy will be revamped, if needed and then put into action. This will include complete monitoring along with compliance management to various other regulatory policies.
On the whole, moving around to the cloud does eliminate some of the complex aspects of IT security. Nevertheless, this does not mean that the business can stop being preemptive regarding securing its valuable data. The data demands compete for protection.